The food during a retreat at Alcázar will be simple, healthy, organic as much as possible, and vegetarian. However, all types of special diets are catered for, and a few meat and fish dishes can be happily supplied on request. Note: The Good Food Retreat can be either vegetarian or meat based.
All meals are made with great pleasure and care. You will be asked to fill in a short, uncomplicated food questionnaire before you come to make sure you will be given only the foods you love. The following is an illustration of a typical daily menu:
- Muesli or porridge with rice, soya, cow, or goat's milk.
- Fresh orange juice or a smoothie.
- A selection of seasonal fruits, wholemeal or rye bread, local marmalade and jams, yogurt.
- Organic coffee or herbal teas.
Mid morning / afternoon
- Freshly made fruit or vegetable juice.
- Herbal teas or coffees.
- Home made brownies or cookies, carrot cake, fruit or nuts and seeds.
- A large bowl of thick wholesome soup - lentil and coconut milk, courgette and cilantro, carrot and orange, bean and tomato, Peruvian soup with quinoa, all with lots of local herbs, and served with buckwheat flat bread, pita, or wholegrain bread.
- Local goat or sheep's cheese, hummus, or guacamole with a small seasonal salad
- Fruit to follow, or to precede depending on your diet - much better for the body before!
- Chilled soup - courgette, beetroot, or gazpacho.
- Large mixed salad with eggs, cheese, nuts or hummus.
- Deserts include fresh fruit, crème caramel, or home made ice cream.
- A small tasty starter.
- A Main dish - for example: homemade falafel with rice and ratatouille, lentil burgers with roast veggies, rice pilaf with artichoke hearts and asparagus, Spanish tortilla, quinoa with steamed veggies and mushroom and tomato ragout.
- A homemade pudding - chocolate mousse, Banofie pie, Tiramisu, home made ice cream, sorbets, goat's yogurt with local honey, or fruit.